- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: Consumer
- Post Date: 08/05/2022
- Website: woebothealth.com
- Company Address: 650 5th St, Suite 303, San Francisco, CA 94107, US
About Woebot HealthWoebot Health is the world’s first mental health ally for people and businesses, with scalable, meaningfully engaging AI-powered therapeutic solutions for mental health. From a small tech experiment alleviating anxiety in teens, Woebot Health has grown into an emerging force of change in mental health.
Who We Are
Our mission is to make the best mental health tools radically accessible to everyone.
We’re a venture-backed startup building tools to help millions of people monitor, regulate, and ultimately improve their moods. Our tools are powered by the latest research in NLP and ML, use scientifically proven techniques from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and are based on 10 years of digital mental health research at Stanford University. With Andrew Ng serving as our Chairman and Dan Jurafsky sitting on our advisory board, we have globally recognized leaders in AI & NLP closely involved with our work.
We’re focused on addressing the vast, unmet need for improved engagement and outcomes in mental health with Woebot, a digital coach that helps people engage more deeply and continuously in their mental health. Woebot's breakthrough is its ability to form a human-level bond with people using the latest in NLP, ML and other advanced technologies. Leveraging this therapeutic bond, and the expertise of our Stanford-trained clinicians and scientists, Woebot is constantly learning from the experience of more than one million people and hundreds of millions of messages exchanged to deliver high quality CBT-based therapeutic tools that are psychologically related and responsive to a person’s dynamic state of health.
We are poised to redefine how people access mental health care, and we are building the dream team that’s excited about getting us there. We are a fully remote, collaborative, and human-centered organization. If you get excited about the possibilities of transforming the future of mental health while working with a dynamic team with backgrounds ranging from clinical psychology to enterprise-grade AI applications, then this role is for you!
Who You Are
To succeed in this role, you can thrive in an environment that fosters collaboration while also giving you the space for independent thinking and project ownership. You are curious about the latest breakthroughs in AI, but also are intent on building technology that ultimately moves the needle in users’ lives. You are a data-driven, constantly curious, growth-minded software engineer who is ready to apply your skills working with a company trying to revolutionize the way we gain access to therapy.
By joining our team, you will be working with modern ML tech such as PyTorch, AWS SageMaker, and Prodigy, as well as Python toolkits like NumPy, pandas, and Hugging Face Transformers.
Are you ready to create a new future for mental health, for everyone? Let's do it together!
How You’ll Thrive
- Within your first 30 days, you will have learned about the Woebot AI code & cloud architectures, and you’ll be able to clearly describe the landscape of how our ML models work in a production setting.
- You will also gain first hand experience in training our flagship NLP models that power the Woebot conversation flow.
- Equally important, you will build relationships with other Woebot engineers, as well as content, product, and clinical team members.
Deliver ML Solutions That Matter
- By Day 60, you will play an active part in the planning, development, and release process with the Woebot AI team, including driving regular production deployments of our NLP models based on enhancements because of new transcript data being incorporated.
- You have begun to demonstrate clear ownership over the workstreams related to our mainline NLP models, and you also have thoughtfully included our rules-based NLP code into your thinking when solving problems for our users.
- You are collaborating with other software engineers on the AI team in designing the future of our MLOps approach to regularly shipping improved model versions to production.
Become a Key Member of the AI Team
- By Day 90, you’re working with the team to understand our monitoring results, and using that data to drive decision-making on whether & how to re-train production models in order to ship meaningful updates to our users.
- You are actively participating in future direction & strategy discussions, contributing your ideas on what R&D activities make sense for our team.
- With several weeks under your belt, you have formed strong opinions on our code & cloud architecture approaches, and you are comfortable sharing your initial perspectives and recommendations with the AI team leadership.
- You'll also be habitually writing clear story descriptions, crafting detailed Github pull requests, and leaving code better than you found it.
Grow Yourself as an ML Practitioner
- Beyond day 90, you will be comfortable making sweeping recommendations that make significant impacts on our efficiency and performance as a team, including adjusting our development process, refactoring code, collaborating differently with our content team, and more.
- You will regularly be offering & receiving ideas on how we can add new NLP capabilities to our tech stack. You will design, build, and deploy features to the various Woebot deployments across the world.
- You will learn new skills rapidly and put them to use for our customers, e.g., by learning a new machine learning algorithm from the literature and implementing it.
- You’ll be mentoring & guiding less experienced engineers who are interested in developing their ML engineering skills.
This Might Be Your Next Career Move IF:
- You care about helping make quality mental health care realistically accessible to millions of people globally.
- You are interested in working in an exciting, dynamic, small team environment, applying ML and NLP technologies to a problem space that truly makes a positive difference for people.
- You are passionate about taking exciting developments from researchers & academia, and applying them to the mental health space, layering the most compelling technological advances with robust and thoughtful clinical psychology methodologies.
Role Specific Competencies
- 4+ years of experience implementing and applying algorithms for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Focus on natural language processing, intent classification & slot filling, information retrieval, or knowledge graphs is a plus.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience deploying machine learning models & software to cloud scale environments.
- Proficiency with standard machine learning tools and frameworks: Python, PyTorch, SQL.
- You have professional experience working with standard cloud computing platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, IBM Cloud, etc).
- You have a rich understanding of efficient software development processes, including Git workflows and Agile methodologies.
Our Core Values:
- Empathic: You’re a compassionate person and a team player motivated to understand others and help them be successful, too. You care as deeply for your colleagues as you do for our mission and our users.
- Self-aware: You possess a high level of emotional intelligence, which allows you to understand yourself and others, and to have a healthy emotional life in the workplace.
- Proactive & flexible:You are able to hit the ground running, you take responsibility for finding a way to get the job done. You learn as quickly as possible and sometimes do things outside the immediate scope of your work, giving it all you’ve got.
- Strong work-ethic: You’ve mastered healthy habits in your life that allow you to do great things. You exemplify dedication and commitment to coming up with very good results in your work and inspire others to do the same.
- Growth mindset: You believe abilities – like intelligence and talent – can be developed through dedication and hard work. You see failure as an opportunity to grow and welcome feedback as a pathway to your continued success.
- Humble: You recognize that you are one among many, and you hold a genuine desire to discover what other people can offer. You are intrigued by how others think, and how others feel differently from you. You lean into these moments with patience and curiosity.
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Health, Dental & Vision
- Healthy Snacks
Woebot is an equal opportunity employer and we deeply value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.