Bloom Energy, a fuel cell company, is seeking an experienced energy professional with experience in international project finance and project development. In this role, the candidate will be a part of a small but impactful team that both develops projects based on Bloom’s cutting-edge energy technology, as well as builds partnerships with energy investors. Bloom Energy is an entrepreneurial venture and, as is typical with start-ups, the role goes beyond a traditional function – the person must have ability to act independently in an unstructured environment, operate proactively and have a passion and appreciation for the vision and mission of the company.
Location: The position will be based in Sunnyvale, CA and will require international travel (estimated at 40%).
• Add “intellectual athlete” capacity to a structured finance team that works on deals impacting many parts of Bloom’s business
• Partner with the international development team to take a target market from “idea to implementation”
• Lead the structuring and closing of financing programs to support customer demand in new and existing international markets
• Engage with key internal and external stakeholders to move deals forward to closure, including financiers, internal team members, and end-use customers
• Lead negotiations of key financing contracts including utility or corporate offtake agreements, EPC contracts, debt and equity financing agreements, gas supply agreements and / or hedges, REC contracts, currency swaps, etc., as needed to reach financial close and funding
• Identify in-country regulatory matters that drive the structure and economics of transactions and work with the relevant in-house and external experts to satisfactorily resolve challenges (e.g., interconnection, tax issues, etc.)
• Create mutually beneficial strategic arrangements with local partners to minimize time to market and reduce operational risks
• Adapt to the changing needs of the organization to maximize the economic and perceived value of Energy Servers in target international markets
Experience & Qualifications:
• Minimum of 15 years’ experience either in international project finance, project development, and/or energy & infrastructure -focused investment banking
• Demonstration of successfully closing large ($500MM+) complex structured finance transactions
• Experience at top tier investment banks, private equity firms, developers or financial sponsors strongly preferred
• A background of exceptional academic performance
• Strong communication skills required. Must be able to clearly articulate and communicate complex deal terms and financial information and issues to management and investors.
• Ability to interact with a wide variety of audiences, ranging from customers and investors, to Bloom engineers and operations staff
• Diverse international travel experience, with demonstrated cultural fluency across regions and cultures
• High degree of natural empathy, which manifests as ease with perspective-shifting in complex negotiations
• Multi-lingual strongly preferred, with an ability to quickly learn new languages
• The ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, prepare high quality work, and to maintain high levels of quality with a heavy load
• Must demonstrate strong personal ethics, the ability to influence and negotiate, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
• High attention to detail
• MBA degree or graduate engineering degree desired
• Fun to work with, quick to laugh, willingness to take calculated risks, and a creative problem solver with a “can-do / failure is not an option” approach to work.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy will make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world. Our technology, first developed for NASA's Mars Program, will dramatically change the way that the world’s energy is produced, distributed and consumed. Bloom’s unique on-site power generation systems are among the most efficient on the planet, providing significantly reduced operating costs and producing dramatically lower greenhouse gas emissions.
Bloom Energy Servers are currently producing power for many Fortune 500 companies including Apple, Google, NSA, Walmart, AT&T, eBay, Staples, as well as notable non-profit organizations such as Caltech and Kaiser Permanente. Bloom Energy has more than 220 MW of Bloom Energy Servers installed in the United States, Japan and India.