About the role:
We are seeking an experienced Counsel/Senior Counsel, Privacy & Product with expertise in privacy, data protection, and technology transactions to join our fast-growing, fun and dynamic office in Redwood City, CA.
In this position, you will have a broad range of responsibilities and will have the opportunity to be deeply involved in our product development and launch cycles. As Evernote’s subject matter expert in privacy, security, IP and product compliance, you will collaborate with engineering, product management, design, security, customer service, and human resources, among others, to support Evernote’s business activities. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, you will become a member of our small but mighty legal team.
Avid Evernote users are especially encouraged to apply!
What you’ll do:
- Advise technical and product teams throughout the entire product life-cycle on matters relating to the legal and regulatory aspects of software product development, including privacy and security, intellectual property protection, and open source issues.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on relevant privacy laws such as GDPR, Privacy Shield, COPPA, CCPA, and the FTC best practices, and manage compliance
- Draft and/or revise privacy policies and program documents
- Work with the marketing and business development teams on strategy and product integrations
- Work with customer service and other relevant teams to manage product and support issues
- Work with security and other stakeholders to handle incident response, including the review, coordination and management of potential privacy or data security incidents and related investigations, notifications and other resolution efforts
- Create and provide training to legal team colleagues and internal clients
- Review marketing materials and other communications relating to the design and operation of Evernote’s products, including to assist in the communication of data use and protection.
What you’ve done:
- Significant product and privacy counseling experience, preferably in a SAAS or consumer software environment
- Deep understanding of complex global data privacy laws and principles, including the GDPR, Privacy Shield, and CCPA
- Demonstrated experience providing practical, actionable advice that balances legal risk and business impact in a dynamic environment
- IAAP certification a plus
Who you are:
- An attorney licensed to practice in California (or admission to at least one state bar with eligibility for California in-house registration) with a mix of in-house and law firm experience
- Excellent written, verbal and social communication skills
- Strong work ethic and sense of professionalism and discretion, demonstrating accountability, integrity, and respect for confidentiality
- Solid customer service focus and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with diverse teams across the organization
- Self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to identify issues, resolve problems and drive projects to completion
- Trustworthy, positive, energetic, optimistic attitude with a willingness to roll up your sleeves
- A creative problem solver who is eager to learn about new ideas and concepts
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Evernote. We believe that different perspectives lead to better ideas, and better ideas allow us to better understand the needs and interests of our diverse, global Evernote Community. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are an equal opportunity employer.