23andMe is seeking a motivated clinical laboratory scientist to perform a genotyping assay in a regulated clinical lab environment. You will be responsible for handling sensitive automated equipment to analyze samples and reporting findings to laboratory management.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Follow the laboratory’s procedure for specimen collection, handling, and processing, as well as test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of test results.
- Follow the laboratory’s quality control policies. Run Quality Control as needed and enter data into the computer.
- Use time management and flexibility in organizing and prioritizing workload to provide optimal service.
- Receive and distribute laboratory stock as needed in laboratory sections.
- Equipment and supplies maintained, monitored, and malfunctions reported to Laboratory management. Document all equipment maintenance performed.
- Adhere to departmental procedure for verification, documentation, and notification of identified critical values to appropriate site. Use acceptable abbreviations and terminology for data documentation.
- Document all quality controls activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance in accordance with regulatory and specific environment.
- Enter data into information systems used within the lab. Retrieve statistical data and information.
- Accurately identify specimen results as they are obtained from instruments and enter, with comments, into the computer in a timely manner.
- Identify indicators that may affect test performance or reporting of test results and either making corrections or notifying lab management.
- Ability to update, create, and review documentation for a clinical lab (SOPs, forms, guides, etc.).
- Ability to stand and sit for an extended period.
- Ability to handle 20L Carboys and consumable boxes.
- Completing other duties as directed.
- Flexible work schedule, including primary shift being 2nd or 3rd shift.
- Expected travel 5%
What you’ll bring
- B.S. degree in biology or related field.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a clinical lab with high complexity testing.
- Molecular biology lab experience (Preferred) in either a research or a clinical lab setting.
- License (Preferred): ASCP Certification.
- Experience adhering to safety policies as defined regulation parties and OSHA.
- Complete work in accordance with CLIA, CAP, NYS, OSHA, and FDA 510K standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to explain technical concepts and details to a variety of audiences (e.g., technical staff, business management, research colleagues, product & engineering colleagues, vendors, and customers).
- A strong work ethic and desire to deliver work of the highest quality.
- Self-starter attitude, proactive and demonstrated ability to organize and execute work through to completion with limited supervision.
- The ability to prioritize, multitask and maintain a positive attitude in dealing with internal and external partners.
- Team player attitude, providing a positive, professional atmosphere.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.