Expanse, a San Francisco-based company, provides IT and security teams with complete visibility of the assets and risks on their global Internet Edge. This enables our customers, Fortune 1000 companies and the US government, to quickly and efficiently eliminate these risks. Through technology and service expertise, we surface and help remediate Internet Edge risks to prevent large breaches and successful attacks.
Expanse has raised over $65 million of funding from Founders Fund, NEA, IVP, and TPG. We were founded in 2012, after the founders met at DARPA.
We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead our Collections team here at Expanse. The Collections team is responsible for regularly collecting and ingesting a broad set of characteristics of the global internet, providing the foundational dataset upon which the various Expanse product offerings are built. At Expanse, we believe that making the internet a safer place for our customers matters, and this team is right at the forefront of that mission.
Do you come into work in the morning thinking about how you can better enable your team? Do large-scale technical design challenges quicken your heart rate? Do you take pride in helping teams find the right balance of predictability and agility? Are you attracted by the opportunity to work in a start-up environment where the things you build will be the foundation of the company for years to come? If so, read on.
All of these elements are important, but there's a reason we mention enabling the team first: it's the sine qua non for this role. You'll be leading a team of strong engineers who take strong ownership of the problems they face; one of the critical aspects of this job will be supporting, coaching and developing your team members. We're also growing fast, so hiring effectively will be critical as well.
The key technical challenges this team faces are around (1) petabyte-scale data processing, and (2) the low-level complexities of how the internet actually works. You don't need to have worked directly in either of these areas, but you do need to have appropriate foundational knowledge and a keen interest in learning more. You'll help the team continuously improve both functional and data quality by contributing at an architectural level and also getting hands-on when appropriate.
Our engineering managers at Expanse work closely with their Product Management counterparts to define the vision and roadmap for the products they own and then lead their respective team's execution against those targets. Two of the most important ingredients we've found that lead to strong execution are an effective agile process, tailored to the needs of the team, and an ability to hold high standards whilst still being intensely pragmatic.
Finally, this role will be heavily shaped by Expanse's rapid growth. Our engineering team has grown by about 50% in the last 6 months and we expect to continue to grow rapidly. This means you'll have an opportunity to have huge impact; you'll need to be comfortable bringing order out of some of the chaos that inevitably comes from this sort of growth.
If this sounds like it might be your cup of tea (or coffee - we have that too), we'd love to get in touch and share more about the role.
What You’ll Do
- Demonstrate independence, creativity and initiative as well as the ability to master the company’s product architecture and its business goals
- Lead the agile software development process, including planning, cross-team coordination, task assignments, code reviews, and design sign-off
- Oversee development of technical designs
- Own product quality, usability, performance and technical standards
- Assess engineering team needs, build and execute on your hiring plan
- Build, mentor and grow a world-class engineering team
- Motivate and energize your team
- Partner with PM on roadmap planning, sizing and estimates; ensure we're building the best products
- Drive operational excellence
- 2+ years of experience managing and leading software engineers, providing them with thoughtful feedback and the resources they need to be successful
- Strong distributed systems and architecture knowledge, including what it takes to deploy and maintain such systems
- Deep understanding of Agile development and how it pertains to all aspects of development: design, coding, quality, deployment; equally strong understanding of what to do when Agile doesn't work
- Ability to lead complex technical projects and deliver on time
- Expertise in problem solving and technical innovation
- Demonstrable partnership experience with Product Management
- Prior start-up experience and demonstrated ability to adapt; works well in a dynamic and growing environment
- Experience recruiting and building teams
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get hands-on when necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related Engineering discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Willing and able to work in San Francisco, CA
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- 20 vacation days with 10 company holidays
- Parental Leave
- 401k Plan
- Pre-tax commuter & FSA benefits
- Monthly contribution to phone bill
- Relocation assistance available
- Stocked kitchen + catered lunch and dinner
- New hire office productivity budget - $300
- Quarterly discretionary team building stipend
- On-site activities such as Lunch and Learns, Speaker Series, Game Night, and Trivia Night
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites
Refer a Friend
- Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!
Expanse Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.