We are looking for a Principal DevOps Engineer who will have a holistic approach about systems when driving the definition, building, deployment and operations of SmartDrive services in close collaboration with Dev, QA and Ops peers.
We are seeking an individual who will show ownership and can help build the appropriate bridges and processes across the various teams, leveraging experience with minimal direction, while balancing trade-off and strict processes and methodologies in a fast-paced environment.
This individual will lead the evolution of our CI/CD pipelines for deployment and operations of solutions across SmartDrive’s various environments which include on-prem systems and a fast growing distributed cloud applications footprint.
Our products intersect with all the current and exciting trends in the automotive and transportation industries and our business is nearly doubling every year. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth.
We are expanding our team looking for technologists with a passion for developing highly available and distributed applications in the cloud, and a drive to deliver software products that make a meaningful difference in the lives of others.
The position is to be located at SmartDrive’s HQ in San Diego, CA.
We expect the ideal candidate to be proficient in a large portion of the following technologies and tools (list not exhaustive), in particular the CI/CD and Infrastructure stacks:
- Source Control and Processes: Jira, Confluence, BitBucket
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Spinnaker, Helm, Harbor, NuGet, Octopus, Sonarqube, Clair
- Infrastructure: Docker, Kubernetes (cloud and bare metal), Windows Server, HyperV
- Backend: Kafka, Flink, Cassandra, MongoDB, MS SQL Server, Spark, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Prometheus, Grafana
- Firmware: ARM SoC, SqlLite, InfluxDB, FFMPEG
- Languages: Go, Python, bash, C/C++, C#, PowerShell, batch, and Scala
- Traditional internet and security protocols (HTTP, TLS, PKI)
The Platform Services team runs the entire infrastructure supporting SmartDrive services and customers, powered by on-prem systems in our datacenter and a fast growing public cloud footprint.
The team, whose ownership and drive has no match, is composed of experts in DevOps, DataOps, Production Operations, IT, and Security.
Our team is a global operation with support around the clock to ensure we fulfill the SmartDrive Promise to our customers.
- Ownership in a very agile and fast paced environment of the CI/CD pipeline for deployment and operations of SmartDrive’s on-prem services and growing AWS footprint.
- Maintain and continuously evolve SmartDrive’s DevOps strategies across Dev, QA and Ops
- Develop with cross-functional teams strategies towards higher organizational throughput via automation and flexible processes
- Design reliable continuous deployment solutions that will yield higher availability and uptime for our internal and external customers
- Manage operational cost with optimal resource utilization across on-prem and cloud services, including evolving capacity planning
- Help the team balance and plan longer term projects against the demands of a fast changing environment
- Measure and help teams improve code coverage and quality using appropriate tools and techniques
- Enforce security policies by ensuring vulnerabilities are tracked and timely addressed
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve issues related to SmartDrive environments
- Support Dev and QA teams along the steps of the Software Development Life Cycle by maintaining environments and tools
- Maintain and develop documentation to facilitate understanding of new products, features, and tools, including training material
- Participate in on-call rotations necessary in a 24x7x365 organization
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. or M.S. Degree in Computer Science or equivalent (M.S. highly desirable)
- 3+ years of experience driving CI/CD for systems being deployed to cloud providers (proficiency with AWS services and associated setup/operations highly desirable)
- 3+ years of experience in a 24x7x365 global SaaS/PaaS operation
- 2+ years of experience with virtualization and Docker containers
- 2+ years of experience with Kubernetes (cloud deployment highly desirable)
- Proficiency with scripting languages (bash, Powershell, perl or equivalent)
- You demonstrate proficiency in our stack (see above) with 2+ years of experience in a large portion of the tools and technologies we leverage, in particular the CI/CD and Infra stacks.
- You demonstrate a high sense of urgency and ownership
- You take great pride in helping teams and individuals (there is no ”it’s not my job” syndrome at SmartDrive)
- You have competence in building and designing complex systems leveraging multiple technologies (legacy and new)
- You can demonstrate and ensure consistency in line with industry best practices for CI/CD, code quality, operational readiness, and security
- You are comfortable in a fast paced and fast changing environment
- You are driven, motivated to learn and ramp up fast
- You are candid and are able to hold your own as the DevOps representative in cross-functional teams
SmartDrive Systems, the recipient of Frost & Sullivan’s Customer Value Leadership Award for Video Safety Solutions gives fleets and drivers unprecedented driving performance insight and analysis, helping save fuel, expenses and lives. Its video analysis, predictive analytics and personalized performance program help fleets improve driving skills, lower operating costs and deliver significant ROI. With an easy-to-use managed service, fleets and drivers can access and self-manage driving performance anytime, anywhere. The company, which is ranked as one of the fastest growing companies by Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™, has compiled the world’s largest storehouse of more than 220 million analyzed risky-driving events. SmartDrive Systems is based in San Diego, and employs over 725 people worldwide.