We are looking for an experienced data-focused engineer to join our transportation analytics platform team, leading the design, development, and delivery of our high-performance analytics engines (computer vision, machine learning, sensor fusion, running in vehicle and in the cloud), high throughput and high accuracy vehicle event analysis engines (in vehicle and in the cloud), and robust and flexible coaching workflow, reporting, and alert management engines.
Our business is nearly doubling every year, and our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our team, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products that make a meaningful difference in the lives of others.
- Lead design and development of transportation analytics data applications for data collection, modeling, processing, and storage to enable Smart Drive services and solutions
- Effectively represent our technical capabilities, findings, and strategies to diverse internal teams, as well as to external partners and customers
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Document and communicate module and framework functions, interfaces, and performance criteria to diverse audiences.
- Diagnose, characterize, and address performance and stability issues.
- Partner with product, Q/A, and other technical team leads in test strategy, release planning, coordination, and overall production quality.
- Work with partners and customers to integrate internal data and external feeds.
- Identify, prototype, and champion significant new technology solutions and refactoring opportunities, and drive execution.
- Drive technical execution on multiple projects as a scrum leader, including design reviews and code reviews for teams
- Be a key technical leader in driving the technology needs and implementation lifecycle.
- Be a respected technical role model and mentor for the engineering team
- BS degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in Enterprise/ Internet / E-Commerce commercial software development environments
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the area of data architecture, data modeling, big data, and highly scalable systems development
- Ability to design, code and implement api code using server-side languages such as Java, Scala, Haskell or Clojure as well as scripting and frontend languages using Python or Node.js or Go
- Proven experience with at least one of the SQL datastores (SqlServer, MySQL, Postgres, Oracle) and NoSQL stores (Cassandra, MongoDB, Influx DB, HBase/HDFS, Elastic Search) respectively and significant experience in application design for transactional processing, Analytics, RESTful services, and machine learning.
- Expertise with data processing systems, both batch and CEP event/stream based systems (Hadoop/MapReduce, Flink, Beam, Spark, Storm/Spark-Streaming)
- Ability to device solutions ground up and review code using algorithmic approaches.
- Preference for demonstrated experience with public cloud compute platforms (AWS, Azure, etc.) in addition to private deployments
- Experience leveraging CI/CD and robust build/test automation, with a preference for cross platform stacks and containerization (Git, Jenkins, Crucible, Sonar, Docker, etc.)
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while building credibility and rapport, modifying behavioral style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining objectives
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans and mentor teams necessary to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits his/her strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Strong preference for internet of things (IoT), large scale telematics, autonomous/semi-autonomous driving, machine learning, and computer vision experience
- Experience in implementing global scale real-time transaction systems, machine learning and adaptive systems
- Experience committing code to open source foundations based on Apache, MIT, GPL, GNU licensing models
- Experience with applied cryptography for data encryption at rest and data encryption in motion using TLS/SSL, PGP, and other common security protocols
- Ability to master new languages or demonstrate experience in polyglot code compliance and polyglot product development
- Preferred expertise with integration of complex and large data from multiple data sources, data and sensor fusion, and migration to newer methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule
- Expertise in implementing distributed micro-services and/or serverless (lambda) cloud software architecture
SmartDrive Systems, the recipient of Frost & Sullivan’s Customer Value Leadership Award for Video Safety Solutions, gives fleets and drivers unprecedented driving performance insight and analysis, helping save fuel, expenses and lives. Its video analysis, predictive analytics and personalized performance program help fleets improve driving skills, lower operating costs and deliver significant ROI. With an easy-to-use managed service, fleets and drivers can access and self-manage driving performance anytime, anywhere. The company, which is ranked as one of the fastest growing companies by Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™, has compiled the world’s largest storehouse of more than 200 million analyzed risky-driving events. SmartDrive Systems is based in San Diego, and employs over 725 people
SmartDrive Systems, Inc., is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.