You will be a core member of a highly collaborative data science team, where well-rounded, talented, motivated data scientists can drive innovation. We enable our scientists to self-organize in an organic, but structured and productive way, consistent with the mission and needs of SmartDrive. Our data science team is focused on addressing valuable transportation-related problems and leverage SmartDrive’s unique data sets, data streams and large install base to create novel, differentiated, market-leading solutions.
SmartDrive’s products intersect with all the current and exciting trends in the automotive and transportation industries, including: automotive safety and risk assessment, Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), big data transportation analytics and fleet management, autonomous vehicles, transportation and mobility as a service, and eco-driving and transportation sustainability. Our people and our platforms are the foundation that has enabled our business to nearly double every year. We are looking for scientists with a passion for solving 21stcentury transportation problems and have a drive to innovate and develop products that make a meaningful difference in the lives of others.
- Lead and define high-impact, data-driven, translational research projects that directly impact new products, product features, or services
- Provide scientific support, develop prototypes, and provide supporting analyses for product development and business development initiatives
- Establish and define high-level analytic technical objectives, requirements, and analytic performance tests for new business initiatives from an end-to-end system perspective
- Drive analytics innovation, including research and develop prototypes and proof-of-concepts, leveraging data from a diverse set of data sources and types (relational data warehouses, data cubes, NoSQL/Casssandra/Mongo databases and raw log, video and audio files)
- Apply statistical analyses, mathematical modeling, machine leaning, deep learning, compute vision, and digital signal processing techniques to design and develop novel, high-value analytic models, and analytics-enabled products
- Assemble and fuse data from diverse set of data streams and vehicle sensors in order to derive high impact features and signals as part of new product features
- Create rich new data streams and new product features by processing audio and video data with machine learning and computer vision approaches. Example data streams include driver states, behaviors, and vehicle environment.
- Develop components of a real-time risk assessment stack, including computer vision, Bayesian networks, physical modeling, etc.
- Develop strategies for managing and leveraging our extended install base to collect more valuable data and drive analytic insights for customers
- Develop strategies for semantic assessment of video scenes and scenarios
- Develop a superb understanding of the problem domain to uncover new applications for machine learning algorithms
- Research new technology developments in related fields and champion their introductions to the organization by developing proof-of-concepts and prototypes
- Leverage in-depth exploratory analysis, quantitative research and qualitative research to shape the product development and future roadmap.
- Present ideas, prototypes, and end-to-end concepts to leadership to drive roadmap decisions.
- Team with product, QA, and other technical team leads in release planning and coordination
- Partner with engineering and transportation analytics platform teams to assist with the definition and evolution of the analytics platform
- Effectively communicate the prototype and POC performance and plans for enhancements and production to internal technical and non-technical stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS AND RELEVANT SKILLS
- 4+ years of pragmatic experience driving significant scientific initiatives
- MS degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics
- Strong intuition for applying Statistical Modeling, Physical Modeling, Machine Learning and/or Deep Learning to practical problems
- Experience analyzing and creating empirically verifiable models based on real-world data, using multiple approaches
- Experience analyzing large structured and unstructured datasets (Scala, Matlab, R, Python, Alterx, etc)
- Experience using statistical, analytical, and ML techniques
- Passion for solving complex problems and making a difference
- Ability to drive a project and work both independently and in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, which includes the ability to present complex topics to non-technical audiences
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits his/her strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD experience with strong publication record, commercial startup leadership/entrepreneur experience, or intrapreneur experience preferred
- PhD degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics
- Experience with embedded analytics tools and technologies (Matlab, Simulink, C, etc)
- Experience using relational and non-relational big data stores (Cassandra, MongoDB, Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Spark, CQL, SQL, etc)
- Experience with Convolutional Neural Networks and other deep nets with experience in TensorFlow, Keras, Theano, Torch, etc
- Experience with scalable event stream processing architectures such as Lambda, CEP, etc.
- Experience with data visualization and reporting tools such as Tableau
- Experience with transportation and vehicle systems
SmartDrive Systems, the recipient of Frost & Sullivan’s Customer Value Leadership Award for Video Safety Solutions gives fleets and drivers unprecedented driving performance insight and analysis, helping save fuel, expenses and lives. Its video analysis, predictive analytics and personalized performance program help fleets improve driving skills, lower operating costs and deliver significant ROI. With an easy-to-use managed service, fleets and drivers can access and self-manage driving performance anytime, anywhere. The company, which is ranked as one of the fastest growing companies by Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™, has compiled the world’s largest storehouse of more than 220 million analyzed risky-driving events. SmartDrive Systems is based in San Diego, and employs over 725 people worldwide.
SmartDrive Systems, Inc., is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.